Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Ordinary Thunderstorms (William Boyd)

Audiobook

I put this on my reading list because Stephen King said I should. OK, I cheated a bit by listening to rather than reading it, but it turned out to be an enjoyable in-the-car companion. I've had to eject many an audio book due to readers who use the wrong attitude or inflection when reading dialogue, but this was a good match of reader and material.

Ordinary Thunderstorms follows Adam Kindred, a recently divorced British scientist returning to England from the States for a new job. He is forced to go on the lam when he becomes the prime suspect in a murder that he witnessed. Although the story demanded some suspension of belief, I was impressed by the writing and plotting. The worst criticism that I can throw out is that Adam may have adapted a bit too quickly to his new life on the run and had a few too many lucky breaks, but he wasn't superhuman and his luck wasn't "buy a lottery ticket now" amazing.

In short: I was entertained but I'm surprised King went out of his way to praise it.

B-