Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Without Feathers (Woody Allen)

Paperback

I imagine that I felt, reading this book, much as I would feel if I time traveled to the Catskills in the '40s or Vaudeville in the '20s. I'd know that I'm supposed to be having a good time -- I would be witness to the fact that the people of that period are having a good time -- but I still wouldn't be able to muster a chuckle.

I'm definitely a fan of Woody Allen's early films. Love and Death is full of nutty little out-of-left-field one liners and I think that's what was the same vibe he was going for in this book. Instead, it reads like someone's collection of completed Mad Libs. Hey, I love me some Mad Libs -- but they're only funny to the people who came up with the non sequiturs...a kind of "had to be there" comedy. This felt like a nonsensical inside joke that just went on and on.

C-