Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Case Histories (Kate Atkinson)

Hardcover

I'd love to see a movie of this story get made. Erm -- on second thought -- they'd probably just cock it up, so forget that.

I was sucked in immediately, then shortly put off when it looked as though this might be a collection of short stories, and then happily re-engaged when an earlier character popped back up after a few chapters. I like short stories well enough, but I was so interested in the initial situation that I needed to know what was next and was so glad that I was going to get an answer...or at least more information.

British private eye Jackson Brodie acquires a few new clients asking him to look into cold cases: a decades-old missing child case, a seemingly random murder, and tracking down an adopted child, now an adult. While juggling his new clients, an ex-wife, and an impossible long-standing client, he's also dealing with constant tooth pain and what seem to be deliberate attempts on his life. All of this sounds way over-the-top, but it's so wonderfully written that it doesn't matter in the least. Somehow it just worked and I ate it up.

There are currently three more novels featuring Jackson Brodie and I'm adding them all to my "to read" list.

A-