Saturday, May 14, 2011

The Risk of Darkness (Susan Hill)

Hardcover

This is the third in the series of five (so far) "Simon Serailler" novels by Hill. I read the first two and, obviously, thought they were good enough to continue -- but this book may have just changed my mind. There's nothing wrong with the writing and I rather like feeling in-the-know about these characters. See, although the book wouldn't lose an audience who don't know what's gone on before, there's plenty of backstory referenced throughout to make me feel rewarded for having been faithful through the first two.

My problem isn't with style, it was with content, which was downright ugly. I have little patience for sensationalism and, frankly, that's what this felt like. Sure, Hill pulls punches when it comes down to the nitty-gritty of how, exactly, several children went from happy kids to piles of bones in a cave -- but I don't know why she bothered. I think it would've been easier to read that then to spend pages in the company of a dangerous madman searching for his dead wife in every poor woman who wanders into his line of sight. Even as I'm typing this, I'm getting annoyed remembering how I felt -- just icky.

I guess the truth is that I don't find Simon Serailler compelling enough of a character to wade through a distasteful story for.

C