Saturday, September 24, 2011

Bossypants (Tina Fey)

Hardcover

I like Tina Fey.  She's extremely funny, a decent actress, and stars on (what used to be) one of my favorite sitcoms.  She's also pretty normal-looking and seems to be well-adjusted and approachable.

Unfortunately, she's not much of an author.  Most of her chapters seem more like a stream-of-consciousness ramble than a finished product.  She simply has zero knack for writing in such a way that the reader gets the intended inflection.  All of the sentences -- moments of truth, memories of childhood, jokes at her own expense -- seem to butt up against each other with hardly a breath between.  Maybe if I had heard the audio version, I could've had it exactly as she meant it...but on the page it felt a little bit as though she was keeping herself too guarded -- absolutely every moment of "real" was undone by a joke.

I still like her, but only on the screen.

C+