Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Crow Lake (Mary Lawson)

Hardcover

Tragedy strikes the four Morrison children in the first pages of this book when their parents are killed in a car accident.  How the two teenage boys and their quite-small sisters cope and survive is both heartbreaking and heart warming.

The older of the two sisters -- now 20 years older and an associate professor -- is our narrator.  She tells the tale in flashback and always from her perspective, which is the most unusual thing about this book.  She was a child watching very adult things unfold...and although I wouldn't call her "unreliable," I would say she's both limited and prejudiced.

The way the book wraps up, with us finally seeing the story from another perspective, was almost a letdown because I'd conjured something so much more horrible in my mind.  That said, it was also a relief.  I came to truly care about the people of Crow Lake and to see them content  was a gift.

I can't believe this is a first novel -- it's magnificent.

A