Thursday, December 29, 2011

Comfort: A Journey Through Grief (Ann Hood)

Hardcover

I've got a friend who lost her 18-year-old son suddenly just over a year ago.  One minute he was there, the next minute he'd simply left his body on the floor.  For the three left behind (mother, father, sister) this last year has been a haze of tears and sleep and anger and depression and aches and confusion and always more tears.

This book helped me understand that they are not wrong.  It helped me understand that grief is forever.  It helped me "get" it...and, hopefully, having read this book I'll be a better friend.  A more helpful friend.  Less of a "you should get out/write your feelings/get back to a routine/listen to my platitudes" friend and more of a listening and crying-with and praying friend.

How can the absence of one person break so many others?  Why are we built to hurt so much over a loss when loss is a constant?  This is beautifully-written and a true help -- possibly more to those trying to understand grievers than to grievers themselves.

A-