Saturday, January 7, 2012

Blindness (Jose Saramago)

Paperback

It took me a while to finish this book -- not because it wasn't compelling, because it certainly was -- because the writing style was very difficult to read. A four-page paragraph is the norm here and some went on for seven or eight pages, making finding a good stopping space difficult.  There's also no quotation marks so that a discussion between several people became a jumble of non-attributed comments.  There is a certain rightness to the style: the story is one of an epidemic blindness and robbing the reader of the visual cues on a printed page is a way to take a bit of his comfort away.  I was able, eventually, to accept the slight confusion.

In all, this is both terrifying and beautiful.  I believe that, just as this book suggests (along with The Road and so many others), society would break down immediately in the face of crisis; that the tendency toward criminality is just below the surface for many people; that failure to band together for the good of the many is what will undo humanity in the event of a widespread catastrophe.

This is definitely a thinker...but I admit that I'd prefer my thoughts to be elsewhere.  I need to find me a HAPPY book.

B+